Thursday, March 31, 2005

Pasadena Star News Reports

The Pasadena Star News has reported on the abduction/domestic dispute on Fair Oaks. In a time when it is so easy to fling something out into cyberspace, it's interesting to note that nothing was reported about the incident until today--as far as I could dig up--in the local electronic media. Even if it was a domestic dispute and not a kidnapping, seeing someone pulled off the street and pushed into a truck seems quite alarming. With news shows full of sensational stories, I guess I'm surprised that no one jumped on this lead and tried to blow it up into something that it possibly wasn't. Is it the small size of South Pasadena? Did the media intentionally downplay the story, and if so, why?

I don't want to blow things out of proportion myself; perhaps it was just written off as domestic violence and not particularly newsworthy. But that's a bit of a stretch for me. Someone being pushed into a truck seems to be in a different category than a battered wife calling 911 from her house: the latter seems like it would be much more common and, thus, less frequently reported as a featured story. I didn't watch Fox 11 News yesterday so I don't know if they did a follow-up story. I couldn't find anything when I searched the Fox11 website or when I did a Google news search.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home